If you’re planning on dining out at a restaurant where English is the primary language spoken, it can be helpful to brush up on some common expressions and phrases used at restaurants.
Upscaling your restaurant English conversation by knowing the right expressions, phrases, and questions can make the entire dining experience with the restaurant staff much easier.
That’s why we’ve divided this article into 7 segments that will provide you with useful phrases for various situations you may encounter at a restaurant.
From ordering food and drinks to asking for the bill, you’ll find a variety of expressions, phrases, questions that you can use to help you navigate the dining experience with confidence.
The first segment covers basic phrases you’ll need to know while making a restaurant reservation.
The second segment focuses on asking to be seated at the restaurant facility that will assist you with asking to be seated properly.
The third segment covers asking for menu at a restaurant. The fourth segment provides expressions and phrases for asking questions about the menu.
The fifth segment is all about expressing satisfaction by appreciating the food items served at the restaurant establishment.
The sixth segment covers how to ask for the bill, while the final segment provides some useful phrases for asking for payment options that are accepted along with phrases for leaving the restaurant respectfully.
By learning these common restaurant English phrases, expressions, and questions relating to restaurant English conversation, you can feel more confident when dining out and make your experience at the restaurant much more enjoyable.
Phrases And Questions To Use While Making A Restaurant Reservation
- I would like to make a dinner reservation for four.
- We are planning to dine at your restaurant this Friday and we will need the reservation for the same.
- Do you have any private dining rooms available?
- Will there be any live music or special events during the time of our reservation?
- Can we bring our own cake or dessert for a special occasion?
- Is there a parking lot or valet parking available at your restaurant facility?
- Can the restaurant accommodate dietary restrictions or food allergies?
How To Ask To Be Seated Properly At A Restaurant?
- A table for two, please.
- I booked a table for four at 8PM under the name of Ross Geller.
- Could we have a table near the window, please?
- Do you have any tables outside?
- May we sit at this table?
- Is it possible to have a quieter table?
- Can you accommodate a larger group if we have more people joining us?
- Is there a time limit for the table, or can we stay as long as we want?
How To Ask For A Menu At Restaurant?
- Excuse me, could we see the menu please?
- Could you recommend any dishes? Or should we take a look at the menu first?
- Do you have a digital QR based menu?
- Can I see the dessert menu please?
- May I have a menu, please?
- Could you bring us the menu, please?
- Do you have a menu we could see?
- I’m sorry, but could we have a look at the menu?
Questions To Ask About The Menu At Restaurant
- What are your most popular dishes?
- Do you have any gluten-free options?
- What are the chef’s specialties?
- Are there any vegetarian or vegan options?
- Are there any spicy dishes on the menu?
- Can you tell me more about this dish and its ingredients?
- Is there anything you would recommend for someone who has never been here before?
- Do you have any specials or seasonal dishes available?
- Are there any local or regional specialties on the menu?
How To Appreciate Food At Restaurant
- I love the flavours in this dish.
- The presentation of this dish is beautiful.
- I’m really enjoying the texture of this dish.
- The ingredients in this dish complement each other so well.
- I can taste the freshness of the ingredients in this dish.
- The seasoning in this dish is spot on.
- This is the best dish I’ve ever had!
- The chef really has some exceptional cooking skills.
How To Ask For Bill At Restaurant?
- Excuse me, could we get the bill, please?
- I’m ready to pay, could we have the bill, please?
- Could you bring us the check, please?
- May we have the bill, please?
- Could you please split the bill between us?
- We are done eating. Could we have the bill, please?
How To Ask For Payment Options At Restaurant?
- Excuse me, could you tell me what payment options you accept?
- Do you accept credit cards for payment?
- Can I pay with card or is it cash only?
- Do you accept contactless payments like Apple Pay or Google Pay?
- Are there any fees associated with using a certain payment method?
- Can I split the bill between multiple credit cards?
- Is it possible to pay with a gift card or voucher?
- Do you accept foreign currencies or only local currency?
In conclusion, knowing useful restaurant phrases, expressions, and questions is crucial for customers when dining out.
These phrases can help customers communicate with the server, ask for recommendations, understand the menu, appreciate the food, and pay the bill.
By using polite and friendly language, customers can have a pleasant dining experience and enjoy their meal to the fullest.
Whether you’re a seasoned diner or a first-time restaurant goer, these phrases will help you navigate the restaurant experience with ease.
Remember to be courteous and respectful, and don’t hesitate to ask for help or clarification if you need it.
This article is curated by the content experts at Billberry that is an all-in-one Restaurant Management System catering restaurant businesses to flourish all over the globe. If you are a restaurant owner and want to upscale your business, then must contact us today!